Our Condo Renovation
Ah, the horror, trauma and disruption of a home renovation. Having never been through one before we decided to document a bit of the experience. Here then, in photos, is our tale of tears, drama and so much more...
WHY A RENOVATION?
After 17 years of wear and tear plus a major flood from a burst pipe in our kitchen in the summer of 2016, we were long past due for a renovation in our condo, especially in the kitchen.
At a very high level, the master renovation plan included:
1. Remodel the kitchen from scratch - knock it back to the concrete and update everything, including new plumbing, appliances, electrical wiring and fixtures. Remove wall between kitchen and living room, leaving kitchen cupboards hanging above a pass-through countertop. Widen kitchen entrance from foyer by removing part of existing wall.
2. Turn the front storage room into a laundry room and closet, removing part of a wall so that double doors could be installed. Install in-suite washer and dryer.
3. Remove bathtub in the front bathroom and install storage cabinets where the bathtub sat. Do a total gut and remodel of the rest of the bathroom.
4. Remove old damaged hardwood floor from front foyer and install same style of new stone flooring in one contiguous section covering kitchen, foyer, laundry room and bathroom.
4. Remove front closet doors inside the front door, turning the area into a larger foyer.
5. Strip the damaged hardwood floors throughout the entire condo, re-staining and finishing them in a lighter colour.
6. Paint the ceiling throughout the condo.
7. Paint the condo throughout in a lighter colour.
8. Install new, higher-style baseboards and trim throughout condo.
9. Update all electrical sockets and light switches throughout condo to the modern "decor" style.
A FEW MOTIVATORS FOR OUR OVERHAUL
Now that's one *ugly* kitchen and hallway...
THE DAY BEFORE: CALM BEFORE THE STORM
The night before it all began. Ah,...the order, the cleanliness, the peace of mind..... that was all to change the next day....
IT BEGINS : THE KITCHEN
What the rest of the place looked like while all of this was happening...
THE FRONT FOYER AND LAUNDRY ROOM
AND FINALLY... COMPLETION!!
In order to have the floors refinished, the entire condo painted, the ceiling redone and new baseboards installed, we had to move out and put all our belongings in storage for about three weeks. It was a major hassle at the time but certainly worth the time, effort and money in the long run.
I hope everyone enjoyed this little tour of our first-ever (and hopefully last) major home renovation. No photo can truly capture what it was like to live through this stressful experience, but we are very happy with the way everything turned out. There's still a few small things to finish up and a few new furniture pieces, rugs and artwork to buy, but this ongoing "fine tuning" will be a labour of love.