The Landgate

The Landgates of Rye were originally built in 1329 by Edward III to fortify the town of Rye, and there were four of them. At that time, when Rye was at high tide, it was surrounded on three sides by the sea so the only means of entry into the town was through one of the Landgates. This is the only remaining Landgate.

September 20, 2016

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In